Sunday 1 February 2015

Comic Book Review -- Justice League Vol. 1 "The Origin"

     Some authors write certain characters really well but don't do as well with others. Geoff Johns (the author of this graphic novel) can write an amazing everyone.
     Geoff Johns writes a great story. The characters were so believable. I love the tense relation that the heroes have, they all want to save the world from evil but they don't really trust each other. I enjoyed watching Green Lantern poke fun of Batman for not having any powers. I liked the Green Lantern/The Flash buddies Easter egg that Johns threw in this story. I case you didn't know, Geoff Johns has been the writer of some of the greatest Flash and Green Lantern stories like "Flashpoint" and "Blackest Night".
     The novel felt like it was happening in our world. The fact that the government was chasing the so called "Super-humans" made the story more believable. If Superman, Batman and the rest of the heroes of this story really existed, they would be feared and hunted, just like this story.
     I liked the line-up of heroes on this Justice League. I was especially happy to see Cyborg thrown onto the roster. He is such a great character, but he so underrated!! Cyborg needs a comic book series! DC, in case your reading this blog post, I volunteer to write you a cyborg comic book series! Enough ranting, on to art:
     Jim Lee does some pretty great art. I action scenes were well laid out, and The New 52 redesigns of the characters are awesome!!
     Now on the down side, I felt like this story moves a little bit to fast. It could have been spaced out a little longer to provide space for some more character development of Cyborg and the main villain of the story. SPOILERS until the end of the paragraph: I think that Darkseid was a wasted villain. I think they should have waited for a while until they brought him into the mythos, especially because he is such a great villain.
     At the end of the day, I will award Justice League Vol. 1 "The Origin" 8.5/10 stars.
     Thanks everyone for reading my first ever comic book review. If you want to see more of these, let me know in the comments below!

Justice League Vol. 1 info:
Writer: Geoff Johns
Artist: Jim Lee
Inks: Scott William
Colourist: Alex Sinclair
Rating: 12+ (ComiXology), T (DC Comics)
Released: January 30th, 2013
Collects: Justice League (2011-) #1-6


No comments:

Post a Comment