Sunday 8 February 2015

Film Review -- Godzilla (2014)

     Godzilla is a descent film. The CGI is pretty impressive, the monsters have some pretty great designs, and despite the film being about giant 108.2 meter (355 foot) tall monster, it felt pretty realistic. I'm not sure what about the film made me believe that an ancient prehistoric monster could really exist and destroy Los Angeles, it just did. I also liked how this film was almost a sequel to the original Godzilla film. The opening sequence was easier to follow because I had seen the original.
     I found that only a few cast members had good performances. Bryan Cranston and Arron Taylor-Johnson really portray the father/son dynamic well. Ken Watenabe and Sally Hawkins played some good scientists, and Elizabeth Olson does a good job with what she's given, but all the other actors and characters in this film just felt dull, and it's not because that there aren't many other characters (there are quite a few others), they other actors just weren't doing anything..
     I think the film could have hurried the introduction of Godzilla a little bit more. The film spent a while setting up the supporting monsters, but not Godzilla himself, and I wish that more time was given to him. I still liked the kind of mysterious introduction to the monsters, I just wish more time was given to Godzilla during the build up to the big fight. Speaking of the "Bib Fight", it was AWESOME!!!
     I can't really can't think of anything to say. The film didn't have a whole lot a negative things about it, but I didn't have a lot of great things, other than the things just mentioned. Godzilla is still worth a watch during this season of not very many movies being released, and I will give this film 65%. What did you think of Godzilla? Comment below and let me know!

Godzilla info:
Release Date: May 16th, 2014
Rating: PG-13 (USA), PG (Canada)
Director: Gareth Edwards
Starring: Arron Taylor Johnson as Ford Brody, Ken Watanabe as Dr. Ishiro Serizawa, Bryan Cranston as Joe Brody, Elizabeth Olson as Elle Brody, Carson Blode as Sam Brody, Sally Hawkins as Vivienne Graham, and Juliette Binoche as Sandra Brody


   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment